Lock Up Poisons

Young Children will Eat or Drink Almost Anything!

danger_poison..jpgChildren are curious, especially about things adults use. Just as they may mimic mom applying make-up or dad reading the newspaper, children may mimic how adults use the pretty-colored pills liquids and containers of all kinds in their environment. these things often engage a child's natural curiosity and urge to explore.

Each year, nearly 1 million children under the age of five are exposed to potentially poisonous medicines and household chemicals. To prevent access, keep anything that can be poisonous locked up and out of sight and use child-resistant packaging; remembering to reseal the package after every use!

 

medicine_chemical.jpg

Medicines

looking_at_pills.jpgMedicines are often swallowed by young children who find them where their parents or grandparents have left them - in a purse, on a nightstand, in a pill container or some other convenient place. All adults should use child-resistant packages wherever young children live or visit. If child-resistant packaging is not an option, keep medicines in a locked container, out of reach - and out of sight - of children.

Household Products

cleaning_products.jpgRead the labels before using any household product and follow the directions carefully. Store household products in cabinets with child safety latches or locks.

Always resecure child-resistant packaging.

 

Keep All Products in Original Containers

Never put kerosene, antifreeze, bleach, paints or solvents in cups, glasses, milk or soft drink bottles or other containers used for food or drinks.

Never transfer dangerous products to a bottle without a child-resistant closure.

Keep Foods and Household Products Separate

Cleaning fluids, detergents, lye, soap powders, insecticides and other everyday household products should be stored away from food and medications. Death could be the result of mistaken product identity.

taking_medicine.jpgNever Call Flavored Medicine 'Candy'

When left alone, children may look for and find the bottle and eat or drink its contents.

To Reduce the Risk of Poisoning,

BE AWARE

If you suspect that a poisoning incident has occurred:

Immediately call the Poison Help Hotline at 1-800-222-1222

 

 

 

FacebookTwitterStumbleuponGoogle BookmarksRSS Feed