Children can choke or suffocate on deflated or broken balloons. Keep deflated balloons away from children younger than eight years old. Discard broken balloons immediately.
For children younger than age three, avoid toys with small parts, which can cause choking.
Riding toys, skateboards and in-line skates go fast, and falls could be deadly. helmets and safety gear should be worn properly at all times and they should sized to fit.
High-powered magnets sets are dangerous and should be kept away from children. Whether marketed for children or adults, building and play sets with small magnets should be kept away from small children.
When a child swallows a button battery, the saliva triggers and electrical current. This causes a chemical reaction that can severely burn the esophagus in a little as two hours. The scary part is that it may not be obvious at first that there is something wrong, since kids can still breath and act normally after ingesting a battery, though it may seem like your child has a cold or flu. Repairing the damage from battery ingestion is painful and often involves multiple surgeries. Even after a battery is removed, kids can experience terrible side effects to their vocal chords and windpipe.
This project is/was funded in part by the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services Maternal and Child Health Services Contract #DH150006012 and is/was supported by the Health Resources Services Administration (HRSA) of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) under grant #B04MC28109, Maternal and Child Health Services for $9,095,311, of which $0 is from non-governmental sources. This information or content and conclusions are those of the author and should not be construed as the official position or policy of, nor should any endorsements be inferred by HRSA, HHS or the U.S. Government.