Published on Friday, 15 April 2016 13:45
Slips and falls now rank as the leading cause of injury deaths among people 65 and older. And, Missouri's rate of injury by falling is 31 percent higher than the national average. Here are some spring cleaning tips to help seniors prevent falls.
Spring Cleaning Tips to Help Seniors Prevent Falls
Clean Up Safety Hazards
Evaluate the overall safety of your home and identify possible problems that may lead to falling. Here are some things you can do to make daily activities less challenging and safer:
- Install handrails on both sides of stairs to support balance. Stairs should be in good repair, have strong, secure handrails, adequate lighting, and non-skid surfaces.
- Make sure walking paths are uncluttered and well lit. Remove unnecessary furniture that obstructs safe walking. Scatter rugs should be secured or removed.
- Adequate lighting is important throughout the house. Make sure you have a light near the bed that is in easy reach.
- Add non-skid adhesive texture strips to the tub or shower floor to avoid slipping.
- Remove all throw rugs that are not slip-resistant or use double-sided carpet tape to keep rugs from slipping.
- Install handrails and/or grab bats on the bathroom walls, especially near the toilet, bathtub or shower to help maintain balance.