Published on Friday, 11 September 2015 17:35
Four children die every day in the United States as a result of child abuse.
Three out of four of these victims are under the age of 4.
Newborns are at greatest risk during the first few days of their life.
- A safe haven is an alternative to abandonment, child abuse, or murder.
- In Missouri: A newborn45 days old or less may be left in the hands of staff on duty at a hospital, fire or police station, or city or county health department.
- Mostly women, they come from all education levels, ethnic backgrounds, and income levels.
- They likely had no prenatal care.
- They are likely not married and have no relationship with the father of the baby.
- Their average age is 18 to 22.
- They may feel: isolated, alone frightened, in denial, anger, guilt, panic, trapped, helpless and/or hopeless.
- They may fell that abandonment is the only option to bring ultimate closure to a traumatic event. But it's not!
Safe Haven for Newborns Coalition of Greater Kansas City
A group of dedicated individuals and agencies in Kansas and Missouri who recognize the need to promote state Safe Haven laws through education, advocacy and collaboration.
Our Goal: Raising community awareness about Kansas and Missouri Safe Haven laws through comprehensive, coordinated, metro-wide promotion of Safe Havens as a child abuse prevention strategy.
Details about the laws and additional resources can be found at www.mchc.net
For more information dial 2-1-1 or 866-320-5764.
Friend us on Facebook - look for us under "KC Metro Safe Haven"
Help spread the word to prevent this tragedy.