Published on Tuesday, 26 May 2015 16:36
Cabin Cruiser to Canoe, These Guides Apply
If you go out on a a boat anytime soon, you won't be alone. The Memorial Day weekend kicks off the recreational boating season, and craft of every type will be out on the waterway. And, whether yours is a sailboat, a motorboat, a kayak or jet ski on a lake, river, bay, or ocean, these few steps will help keep you safe:
- Wear your life jacket.
- If you fall overboard, or your boat sinks quickly, having one on board is not good enough.
- Prepare a float plan.—the who, what, when, and where of your outing.
- Leave a copy of your plan with a friend or family member to alert authorities if you don’t return as planned.
- Check the weather before you go.
- If storms or high winds are in the marine forecast, postpone your trip.
- Don’t drink and boat.
- It’s as dangerous as drinking and driving. Even if you’re not operating the boat, it can impair your ability to escape safely if your boat capsizes or you fall overboard.